Monday, July 28, 2008

Half year

This month end completes my first 6 months of going pro, that is becoming entirely self-employed as a full time professional poker player. Here are my results for July:







During this period (excluding a few sessions not imported to PokerTracker) I ran at roughly VP$IP 22 and PFR 16.50, with an average BB/100 score of 6.5 . As you can see from my results, I didn't play loads of hours this month for various reasons, but I did manage to beat my earn-rate target of $100 per hour quite handsomely. What's even more impressive is that I managed it while still having a negative week during week 3! I think this was really only possible thanks to running super-hot in week 2, allowing me to boast my best ever earning week. Good cards and good play can be very nice in combination as I'm sure you well know!

Here are my financial results for the half:







And here are my PT stats:




I'm pleased with my financial results of course, but I know I can do much better. My recent downturn in hours needs addressing; I think a lot of it is due to summer and the activities that summer weather encourages (blading, seeing friends and family) and complacency about my ability to make a decent living working from home.

I am pleased about how much I'm studying: watching plenty of CR vids, doing lots of reading and thinking about the game - but need to make sure that whenever I play I am disciplined enough to always bring my A-game as the times I don't end up far more expensive than not playing at all.

Thinking back over the last 6 months it's incredible to consider how much more I know. My game isn't dramatically different to what it was - and I don't see that changing in the future - but what has really changed is my understanding of the game. It certainly seems that my hand reading is coming on a lot, and I am far more confident about making decisions and generally adjusting to different types of opponents in different situations. I still encounter the odd player who leaves me wondering whether they know what game they are playing, but that is just life.

Thinking long term for a second, I do find myself wondering if I will be bored of watching cards flick several hours a day. I've decided that providing I am still learning the game and elevating my play, it will be very difficult to get bored. Situations that you have seen hundreds of times previously become weighted with new factors and possibilities to consider with every new facet learnt about the game. I still subscribe to the adage 'No limit hold'em takes a day to learn, and a lifetime to master'. Best of luck all.

Cranwood (6 max) - $2/$4 - No Limit Hold'em
Seat 1: Player1 ($420)
Seat 2: Villain ($799)
Seat 3: Hero ($516)
Seat 4: Player2 ($1,665.20)
Seat 5: Player3($492)
Seat 6: Player4 ($400)
Player2 posts the small blind of $2
Player3posts the big blind of $4
The button is in seat #3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [Jh As]
Player4 folds
Player1 folds
Villain raises to $14
Hero raises to $48
Player2 folds
Player3folds
Villain has 15 seconds left to act
Villain calls $34
*** FLOP *** [Qs 9h 2d]
Villain checks
Hero has 15 seconds left to act
Hero bets $68
Villain has 15 seconds left to act
Villain calls $68
*** TURN *** [Qs 9h 2d] [7d]
Villain checks
Hero has 15 seconds left to act
Hero bets $140
Villain has 15 seconds left to act
Villain has requested TIME
Villain folds
Uncalled bet of $140 returned to Hero
Hero mucks
Hero wins the pot ($235)

8 comments:

Klopzi said...

A nice start to your new career! Hopefully you'll get some more hours in at the tables during the second half of the year. Still, it must be nice to make $44K while working part-time hours...

It's amazing how much your game seems to have improved from your days at the $1/$2 NLHE tables. Your PTBB/100 rate really sky-rocketed.

Good job. I look forward to the next six months.

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Dude, very sick. Nice man, keep it up!

Btw, you really need to be posting more... I mean, it's not like you're freakin working. Share the wealth bro.

Klopzi said...

Let me second Alan's request for more posts.

So to recap:

1. Great results! Keep it up! You are the wind beneath my wings, etc.

2. Play more poker!

3. Post more often!

Gnome said...

Wow, those are incredible results. Congrats!
Makings >$100/hr is a great achievement.

ROSSI said...

in a word......superb

Anonymous said...

Good work dude, very nice stats and results :)

Anonymous said...

Nice records, am going to start recording my hours played / win-loss rate from now on.

If I guessed my hourly rate at the moment, I think I am making about 25p an hour. Will be interesting to see what it is though, then can use that as a 'target' for the month after.

Did you have X amount saved up before you went pro, or just jumped straight in? I presume you had some saved up!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant start to your career to say the least and nicely on course for a £20k year at least.

What is your goal for your first 12 months? £40-50k?