Friday, March 02, 2007


Developing


Poker has always been a double-edged sword from the day I first started winning. Post a win, and you feel clever, stimulated and invincible. Lose, and you feel foolish, despondent and weak. Maybe the sword is actually triple-edged, because I know when I have a break-even session I usually feel like I’ve just wasted a lot of my time on nothing. I know I’m young at the moment, but that won’t always be the case and I don’t want to look back and regret the time spent in the pursuit of poker supremacy!
My average earn for the shortest month of the year was $100. This is my highest ever, and I am of course very pleased. This said, it has prompted a number of worrying thoughts.
I want to maintain and better this average. This probably means that by the time I get the bankroll up to 20k I’ll be looking to take another shot at the 3-6 tables.
If I can maintain this average, it means I’ll be earning far more from poker than from my real job. And that is not a situation that makes sense, and would necessitate a fairly prompt change.
What if this average is just me enjoying the sweet side of variance? I feel my play has come on loads this year, but I know that it’s hard to tell with any certainty if my improving fortunes are directly linked to improving skill. At least I am still suffering from regular bad beats, if they were absent I’d know that the relationship between winning and judgement was off on holiday…
Having just moved house I’m still awaiting my BB connection, but once that is running I’ll be throwing myself back into the tables, aiming for at least 50 hours each month. Have created a new account on UB to take advantage of rakeback, and want to start earning even more from my favourite hobby. Not sure I want to combine it to my hourly average, but then I don’t know why I shouldn’t as it should be adding a constant value for each table I have open.
I want to experiment more with overbetting the pot, as that is currently something I very rarely do and need to include more in my game. I’m also aware of a need to mix up my play more, including varying my bet sizes, but aggression and reason will remain my main allies.
Bring it on.

No comments: