Wednesday, May 30, 2007


Decision


I know, I know, I said that I'd give it time. That I'd see how my results looked after several more months. But I've made up my mind. In 8 months time, I'm going to turn pro.

Obviously I have been mulling over playing poker for a living for a while now, but I reached my decision while away on holiday. I had just finished work on a typical stressful note before packing for Malta, and it hit me that right now I have a chance, maybe a once-in-a-lifetime chance, to do something I really enjoy for a living. I simply don't like what I do now, and though it would afford me a fairly comfortable life and good long term security, I couldn't live with not taking my chance at something I'm passionate about, and feel I have the capability to excel at. Maybe I don't have what it takes to play winning poker at 25/50. Maybe I won't ever make a big score in a tournament. But I want to find out for myself, and I'm very confident that I can perform well enough to support myself now and in the future with the skills that I already possess.

I won't be running round telling all my friends just yet, because my results may plummet, my thinking might change, or (gulp) the UK government could decide they want to copy the US and ban online gambling. So I'm going to wait 5 more months and build up the bankroll during which time I can always change my mind, and then hand in my notice and see what I'm really made of. If I can continue to make $100+/ph on average at $2-$4 I will have no doubts as to my making the correct move financially.

On top of this, as mentioned I will continue with all my other hobbies, plus I can try doing a bit more acting, and if anything good comes from that then that will just be icing on the cake. If you are good at poker, the bottom line is it lets you do what you want. And I want to see where it takes me.

Start the countdown.....

2 comments:

Fuel55 said...

Regarding poker sites: FTP continues to hit me with coolers and suckouts so I pretty much play on PokerStars exclusively now.

Regarding playing pro: If you want to do it then go for it. But you can play higher. You just need to adjust more and lower aggression into a more trap style. $5/10 is pretty soft. $25/50 is tough.

Fuel55 said...

email me directly at fuel55 at veltheer dot com